Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bunnies and Fish

When I was growing up in California, we used to raise rabbits for fun:) I have soo many bunny stories and some are really cute like the one rabbit we had that was more of a watchdog and would guard our house and take walks around the neighborhood and then come back home! We didn't even cage him.. miss you Harry. Also a wonderful love story between Bugs and Pepper... have to tell you that one in person:) All in all I was the bunny fan in my family. LOVED THEM!! So sad whenever we moved and had to leave it all behind including my little dropper-fed dwarf Shasta. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to start looking into getting some rabbits of our own now that Nathan is really into animals and we have an apartment that lets us have pets. I went to look at the start up prices (cages, feeders, etc.) and I was appalled!! It was like $150 bucks before you even got your rabbit! So I backed off for a while and thought I would gradually get into this since there aren't many rabbit breeders in Wyoming (for pets anyways) and just see if I could get supplies at yard sales and then try next summer to get it all together. Besides we are having a baby in the next few weeks so.... backing off for a while sounded good. Then yesterday my mom texted me a number of someone giving away two rabbits for free. I called and lo and behold he was giving away the hutch he made, a really nice cage with bottom, feeders, heated feeders, his food can and everything you need for rabbits!!! I was way excited and Nathan has been estatic having "beees" in his house. We hope to pick up the hutch sometime soon and then they will be outside most of the time but they are perfect!! They are both female and one is a pure white New Zealand and then the other is one of her babys from a while ago and she is a mix with a Rex so they have very soft fur and are very tame. They are also very big which works to our advatage as Nathan can't just pick them up and try to haul them around or get scratched. They have run around our living room for a while and Nathan just loves to play with them!!

This is Fudge (white) and Dalmation- now Domino


Domino peeking around the cage (she really has black eyes)

Now to the fish. I also had a fish tank growing up- a real nice setup 50 gallon tank on a handmade stand, you get the picture. I bought a little beta tank last summer and the fish always died!!! I think there was some bad bacteria in the rock but whatever. So again I gradually thought I would ease into getting a tank and all the equipment since start up for a 20 gallon tank is at least $50 before you get the fish! (These prices are killing me!! ) So I again was just looking and scouting around. Yesterday, (it was definately a Delina's wish day!) my mom found me the whole start up kit for $10 at a yard sale!!!! I will post pics when we get the tank set up. Wal-Mart is our only source for fish and I looked today and they look pretty sick and I don't want fish to die on my again! So, check back!

I will just say that all this happened after I had a rough beginning of a week. I was just feeling a little low in my faith and just down.. I'm sure part of it was pregnancy hormones but I was just not myself. Then Tuesday night as I was going to bed and saying my prayers (half-heartedly) I got the thought "why won't you trust me?" It really struck me and I started trying a little better to be hopeful for my future and stop being so downer. Then Friday happened and WOW! I am not saying that everthing always turns around so fast but it was a nice reminder that unexpected blessings do come and we shouldn't lose faith when things are down. I hope you all are having a great summer!!

No comments: